The Fetal Medicine Foundation is a Registered Charity that aims to improve the health of pregnant women and their babies through research and training in fetal medicine.
The Foundation, with the support of an international group of experts, has introduced an educational programme both for healthcare professionals and parents and a series of certificates of competence in different aspects of fetal medicine.
In the last 18 years, The Foundation has supported research and training in the following areas through grants to a total of more than £15 million:
- Early diagnosis of fetal abnormalities
- Screening for chromosomal defects
- Development of safer techniques for prenatal diagnosis
- Intrauterine fetal surgery
- Prediction and prevention of stillbirth
- Prediction and prevention of pre-term birth
- Preeclampsia and fetal growth restriction
- Problems of multiple pregnancies
The main source of income for The Fetal Medicine Foundation is The Fetal Medicine Centre.